Saturday, February 28, 2009

The vultures are still out

Looks like we could do something about the people who try to get our money through fraud over the Internet. Over the pass few days since the passage of the stimulus/bail out bill in Washington I have received these official looking messages that want to tell me what I should do to get my share. Maybe they just want my bank account number so they can be sure to put it there when the feds open the valve. Or maybe they just want to give me advice but for a small fee. And on and on the possibilities go.

I sent the first few to phishing@irs.gov and then I stopped. If they can do anything at all, they can do it with my first few sends. No doubt there are millions of fed up citizens like me who send to the feds too about the phishing emails.

This is an annoyance to me! I want to know why they think I am so stupid. (Not talking about the IRS but the phishers.) They think I am dumb enough to respond with what they want. Well, I bet some people do. That is why they do it. If no one responded they would not do it, would they?

Well, while I said it was not the IRS I am not so sure it is not related. Here is my logic: Back in the days when the viruses started coming out to attack computers and there was also a buildup of anti virus program companies, it occurred to me that the viruses might be coming from the companies formed to kill them. That is a possibility. Likewise, who would be better able to use format and words to pull us into a scam with regard to bail out money than someone at the IRS. (Not being accusatory here. Just talking of possibilities.)

Anyway, those who send think some dumb somebody is going to bite. Well, not me, not this time, not ever. And, I hope you don't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment