Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"We will rebuild."

President Obama brought his plan for a recovery to the Joint Session of the Congress tonight. The big message, and believable to me at the moment, was "We will rebuild."

I think he meant it. I think the way he said it gave a lot of people, including me, hope that all is not lost, that we will recover from this downward spiral we have seen over the last few months.

Course, the work begins on a lot of it. But what he said sets the stage, a stage that we needed set. It was a broad sweep for sure. We will see if actions follow words. There was enough detail to make the points viable. His message went to every person, with as much force as I have seen lately.

One thing I do hope is that Obama has the necessary staff on board to honcho what he has set out. There is no way that one man, the president, can do all that in the proper way. We are going to have to start hearing the good, the application of success, from the cabinet heads.

Based on the last few days I was some worried that there would not be enough detail, that the president might appear inadequate to the task before him. I was pleasantly surprised. I expect to see a better tomorrow. That is what I wanted to hear tonight. While I tend to be a Republican, I still liked what I saw.

Naysayers are OK, sometimes, but I have never liked giving the opposing party the chance to follow up with its opposition to the speech of the President on a major outing such as this was. I turned off the Louisiana governor last night for that reason. There will be time proper to debate the issues.

One last point: Republicans must be careful that they fight the right battles on this enormous plan. Everything Democrat/Obama is not the right battle, I am convinced. 'These are the times that try men's souls.'

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, Chuck. Now is not the time to be programmatic and close-minded. It's all about doing the best for the American people, not just for a party, Republican or Democrat. -- Poncho

    ReplyDelete