Friday, February 6, 2009

He hit it outta the park!


I am not a fan particularly of baseball. I do enjoy watching from time to time. Mostly that would be during the World Series, with no particular team as a favorite, at least not at the start. But sometimes, I like a lesser game.

Today, I went out to watch the first home game of the season for our local university.

One reason I did that was that the head coach is a member at our church. He moved here from a similar job in a university setting in West Virginia last summer. Getting to know him, I soon learned how intense he was at doing his job as a coach. I learned that from some sermons (we have different men of the church bring sermons) he has brought, in which he often had some comparison of playing the game of baseball and that of being a Christian. I have learned a lot about both his Christian walk and his baseball walk, and both were good to hear.

Anyway, he started his playing season last week out of town. His team won one and lost two on the road. I could tell in talking with him he was not satisfied with that. I know he had rather to have won all three. (Wouldn't all coaches?) Today was his first home game. I went out to observe the coach and players in action. I thought that would be a good thing to do as an outing.

I was impressed with the interaction of my friend with his players. Obviously, he was always the coach. He seemed respected. When I arrived, his team was winning 2 to 1 in the bottom of the first inning.

One thing I noticed was that at the end of each inning, my friend's players would run (a fast walk) to the corner of the field, huddle, and return to the team area. I had never seen that before. Maybe it has happened but I have not seen it. I thought, now that is a good way to keep their bodies exercised so that when they get to bat or out in the field their bodies could respond. Well, that was typical of how my friend had trained/disciplined his players.

In the top of the 5th, the opposing team was up to bat. Score was still 2 to 1 in favor of the home team. As it turned out, the bases became loaded with the opposing team. I am sure that caused some consternation with my friend. Bases were loaded and a new batter was up to bat.

Then, the pitch. The batter connected. He hit that ball solidly. It climbed out over the pitcher and high over center-field. I watched. Wow! I thought, that ball is going over the fence! I am sure I took longer to comprehend what was happening than did the players. And so it did - over the fence. I watched the outfielder. After the ball went over the fence, the outfielder jumped up on the fence as if, by some miracle, he thought he might draw the ball back. I later thought, 'He is trying to make it look like he did his part for his coach.' Oh, well.

With that hit, four runs came in. The bases loaded came in, and the batter galloped his bases and came home. The score went 5 to 2 in favor of the opposing team.

About this time, I was tired and decided to go home. Don't know how that game came out, or how the following game did. I do know that the home team tried really hard while I was there. I hope they did not have that picture again.

He hit it outta the park! That is what batters want to do. Occasionally it happens, like a hole in one for a golfer.

Anyway, my impression. Baseball is a fun game. I am glad my friend likes coaching. I am glad he is my friend. I am rooting for the home team.
Later update: the home team loss the first game but won the second.

1 comment:

  1. Good story Boss. Baseball is my favorite game. I'm glad you enjoyed a day at the baseball park. Sounds like an exciting game. Maybe you'll go back!

    ReplyDelete