Thursday, February 12, 2009

Oh! These times

Ever want to say something and not know what to say? That is where I am. Maybe I should just say nothing, but I will press on. Wouldn't be like me to say nothing.

The Congress is getting close to an agreed on stimulus bill of nearly $800 billion. I guess that ought to make me feel good. It doesn't so much. Truth is, I almost have a gut ache over it. I just hope that somebody knows what they are doing. Guess I am still of the old school that believes well-to-do is created by people making stuff, and this seems a far reach from that.

Don't get me wrong. I am encouraged. I drove down IH-35 today from Austin to San Antonio to Laredo and there are a lot of 18-wheelers still on the road, going into and out of Laredo, my home town. Seemed almost as many as ever. I hope they were not running empty.

I had wearied somewhat on trucks, knowing that a lot of what they carry is autos and auto parts for that industry. My thinking was that would dry up if no cars are being sold. Not sure they are still carrying auto stuff, but, anyway, the trucks are still on the road, and that must mean something - if they are not running empty, trying to get home on pocket change.

I note that a lot of people are advertising a lot of products on television and on the Internet. That must mean something. Surely they are not advertising with no hope of sales. Saw one on television today selling stuffed bears made in the USA. Sounded pretty good to me. I almost bought one, and might still do so; again, I might not. But seeing it, and lots more, tells me somebody is doing some good, and they are making stuff. Someone is always inventing a better mouse trap, they say. To me now, a bear is good as any as long as it is Made in the USA.

My theory is that if people are advertising it has to mean sales are out there. I hope this is true.

The next few days and weeks will give an indicator as to whether there is a stimulus, even with the billions on billions about the hit the street. If that is what is needed, I sure hope it works. If that is not what is needed, I feel for US. Maybe, maybe, people just need to be encouraged to do something.

I know lots of people are hurting. While it has not hit me personally yet, I know it has a lot of people. Well, I said it has not hit me. But it has. My little bit of stock is close to 40 percent down! That is a hit, come to think of it. And, one of my stocks keeps dropping more than the average. It used to be really good and moving up, but now..... In fact the company put out a notice today revising down its forecast for doing well in 2009. That did not make me feel too good, yet I figured it was true.

Well, we will get through it all, but I think it will only come when we start making something. I hope somebody knows how to make something - which might be intirely different that what has been made, and that something sells. If that happens the multiplier will surely start moving around and make us all feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment