Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Technologically adept or challenged?

Just this weekend by daughter paid me a compliment, I think. She said, "Dad, I am so glad you are technologically adept." I took that as a compliment. I think she was saying that most older people are not. That made me feel good, though. But, compared to what?

This morning I was trying to attach a picture to an e-mail I was sending out. I did attach it, but when I got a copy back (I include myself on the addressee list), and tried to open the picture to see what the other addressees were seeing, I got a message that it would not open, that I did not have it associated with @@$%*#. (I say it that way because I still do not know what it said. So, I am not sure my daughter knew what she was talking about when she complimented me.

I do know that I know a lot. I have been working this computer game for a number of years, and I have learned a lot by trial and error. Maybe, soon, I will learn what @@$%*# is, and I will fix that problem. (I did know enough to attach the picture another way, and that did work.)

But everybody has problems. It is not just me and attaching pictures. This morning I went to the doc and, as usual, they asked if I had any medications I needed refilled. I have been going to this doc a long time and he has me on a bunch that have five refills, and then I have to get him to write a new prescription. (You know, some of those meds are a lifetime contract, especially when you get older. These are not cure-the-flu time meds. They are maintenance type meds that lasts a lifetime, however long that is.)

Well, the doc's nurse told me that the pharmacist would have the order before I walked out of that office. Sounded good to me. New technology, you know. My doc does it electronically.

While I was out doing other errands, I called my pharmacy to see if the order was ready. Reponse: "We do not have an order." So, I say, "I will call the doc back and remind them."

I call the doc. They say, "Have them check their 'e-script.' Our record shows they got it." (E-script seems to be a new way of doing things in the medical field. Probably kinda like e-mail to the rest of us.)

So I call the pharmacist back. "The doc says check your 'escript." Silence. I ask if they want me to wait until they verify. The pharmacist says, "That will not be necessary. We probably have a bunch on it." That led me to know they had not checked that, whatever that is. That led me to believe they are not technologically adept but are challenged, for now, at least.

But I do not say all this to complain. I can't properly associate pictures for email. The pharmacist can't remember to check this new fangled machine that doctors use to send med orders, e-scripts. That is just the way it is.

Probalby tomorrow, we will both know a new trick to get along better. Tomorrow we both, in these areas, will be more technologically adept and not challenged. We will know what @@$$%*! is, for sure. We might be slow but we will get it. I am convinced of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment