Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Importance of relationships

Oh, this is not that! I am talking about having an outlet with other humans just to talk and compare notes.

I have a habit of going out to breakfast most every morning. I generally go to the same place. When I go I usually see the same people. There will be a variety of communication relationships. Some of it will be a nod, and a receipt of a nod. Some will included a hello, how are you, both ways. A certain set is more close. I will join a table of four, and we will talk about whatever is on our minds that morning. That is what is important.

It is important for folks like me who are retired. Before retirement I got all the nods, how are you's, and more serious discussion done with fellow workmates. It might have been at the start of the work day or it might have been splashed throughout the day. But, after retirement those old ways, those old relationships are no more.

So, in retirement I have found another avenue of relationships. It is generally at the breakfast table of a local restaurant. This does not take the place of the wife, I might add. She went to work for the day an hour or so before I got hungry for food and relationships.

I talked to a fellow pastor this morning at breakfast and we sorta talked about this. I told him that when retired, in about four years, said he, that he would need to find something else to do. I am sure he is learning from me, because he sees me at this watering hole on the mornings he finds time to come.

I told my pastor friend how I remembered a time back in the navy when retirees would keep coming to the office to have coffee and to chat. I reasoned that they had to have something, that they would have been better off finding a new place to have coffee and develop other relationships.

We agreed on the importance of relationships, that there is always a need.

I think I have done a pretty good job on changing over. Course, I have had nearly five years to develop that. I have learned by experience, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment