Friday, June 5, 2009

Almost the price of a cup of coffee

Don't need to let this idea of blogging grow too cold. There is always something that will come up to warm up the cold, docha you know.

I was reminded yesterday of how it used to be to get an envelope in the mail with a window, and you knew it was not something good. The IRS used to send stuff like that. Other "dunners" did, too. It always brought some feeling of anxiety. Well, yesterday kinda took me back - to the good ole days? Naw.

I get the windowed envelope and study it and open it. Turned out the toll road people in Austin were saying I owed the $1.60 for not paying to be on their 183A. They had me cold. My name, my license plate (they did leave off the handicap), and MY ADDRESS, and a date that I was definitely there and traversing somewhere in the neighborhood of 183A. Wow! I felt bummed for not paying that $1.60!

Worse, they said if I didn't pay by a certain date (luckily it was a month away), the charge would go to $200.00, by law.

Well, I did not do it! Not that I have any recollection of, anyway. I do know that I travelled 183 NW out of Austin, and I distinctly remember there being a toll road off to my right, but I chose to stay on the non-toll 183. I saw several places I could get on the toll. But I stayed off. Frankly, I wished I had taken it, because, turned out, I went through a lot of red lights "getting outta Dodge."

Thinking of the billings and the warning, I wondered how they got me? I know I didn't do it, but how does one fight "city hall." They must have had a panoramic camera. So, I went online last night and paid the $1.60 with a credit card. I decided that my defense was not worth $1.60. Who could hire a lawyer for that amount, anyway?

I did decide today to call them and make my point, anyway; just have my say. I got one of those animated/automated, push this/push that, and after a few minutes, they sent me to a real live agent's line, the animator said. But then, another animated voice came on, saying, "Your expected wait to talk (to a real live agent) will be approximately 11 minutes." Humm. Wait 11 minutes to argue a $1.60 charge? I don't think so. I hung up.

Clearly (to me, obviously- I just hate it when folks use that word), I know I did not access their toll road, and thus did not really owe the bill, but what can one do? Not much. Just pay it and go on. And that is what I did.

Such is life. I will maybe eliminate one cup of coffee, or maybe I won't.

4 comments:

  1. You know, most lawyers collect a one-third contingency for that sort of thing. So maybe you could get someone to represent you for a chance at 53 cents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, dad. scary how they *know* everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Amy, what they "knew" was wrong! :-) Now that is hard to prove. You are thinking, Daddy just tried to get buy without paying. ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has happened to me here is Houston about eight years ago. I traded a car in at a dealership for a new car. About four months later I started receiving letters in the mail to take care of my fines or a warrant would be issued for my arrest. Turns out the car were never transferred out of my name by the dealership and the new owner liked the Beltway but did not like to pay for the use. Fees and penalties were up to around $1500.00 and I was receiving little to no help from the dealership to clear my name. Ended up having to go back down to car dealership and making a scene to get anyone to help me. JW

    ReplyDelete