Friday, September 24, 2010

Knowledge and memory

Thought a lot lately about how I am able to recall knowledge, understanding that once stored, it really should be always there. But it is not. Somehow it relates to memory, ability to recall. Now, if I were a psychology major, I'd probably know more about this but I am not. So, this is just Chuck talking, ChuckOThoughts, that is. (Actually, I did take a little psychology classroom, but I don't remember much about it.)


Why is it that I cannot remember certain things that I know I once knew? Like names. Saw a fellow at breakfast (two in fact) who came up to me and I could not remember the name. One of them I worked with for at least four years at the local paper; the other I mixed with quite a bit but that was a few years ago. Yet... there are things I learned a long time ago, that I would classify as just knowledge, that I can still recall.


As a kid I learned, put to memory, the books of the Bible - all 66 of them (that is the protestant Bible, some call it. I can still repeat all the books from Genesis to Revelation. Imagine that. Fifty years ago, as a Navy air traffic controller trainee, I put to memory a saying to identify light beacons for pilots along a planned route or flight. There were ten, and then they would start over - When Undertaking Very Hard Routes Keep Directions By Good Methods. So, why can I remember all such as that and I cannot remember like a person's name? I don't know.


Certainly there are a lot of other things I remember, too, and frequently or perhaps infrequently apply. These are too numerous to mention. Knowing which direction to turn a nut off a bolt comes in handy occasionally. No need to go on. Surely I convey what I am trying to list.


I learned to ride a bike and swim as a children. Even though I have not done either for decades I have no doubt but what I could swim today and ride a bike. Not sure why that is, when I can't remember other things. Further, usually if I drive to some location before unknown, I can just about do it again anytime.


Perhaps being able to recall or do has to do with how I applied it - somehow, but I cannot explain it. That bothers me lately. Perhaps it should not. But it is just a thing I thought I would express thought about - ChuckOThoughts, that is all.

2 comments:

  1. As I understand it, there are different types or levels of memories -- some are more technical in nature and therefore vital to survival/progress (these become skills), while the "softer" memories are those which can be short-term and somewhat perishable. However, there are some brain exercises that have been developed recently that keep even the "softer" memories more easy to access. One website that offers these exercises in the form of memory games and math speed drills, etc. is Lumosity (www.lumosity.com).

    ReplyDelete
  2. ___old Chuck-0 must have forgotten to update (entertain and educate us) his delightful blog . . .

    ReplyDelete